Photo
- - - - -

Getting The Rose Family Mini Back On The Road! (After 5 Years)

roundnose

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

#136 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:32 AM

Great!
As for the engine mount bolt, you can get a spanner on it easier with everything out of the way but it can be a struggle.
I always struggle because of my big hands. Sometimes I ask someone with small hands to do it :lol:

Also there's a version available from Minispares that has captive nuts (although they've been out of stock for a while): http://www.minispare...|Back to search

#137 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:54 AM

Great!
As for the engine mount bolt, you can get a spanner on it easier with everything out of the way but it can be a struggle.
I always struggle because of my big hands. Sometimes I ask someone with small hands to do it :lol:

Also there's a version available from Minispares that has captive nuts (although they've been out of stock for a while): http://www.minispare...|Back to search

These are not great and I personally would avoid them.

I tried twice with them and once, the captive nut crossthreaded with no effort as they just wouldn't line up nicely and the other, the captive nut started spinning.

#138 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:48 PM

Great!

These are not great and I personally would avoid them.

I tried twice with them and once, the captive nut crossthreaded with no effort as they just wouldn't line up nicely and the other, the captive nut started spinning.

Ha ha, maybe that's why they have no stock!

#139 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for the input and ideas.

My next issue is the cone compressor (which worked perfectly on the drivers side) wont screw into the cone on the passengers side.
I only have the metric one so there is a chance an imperial sized cone was installed however I find that unlikely.

My guess is that the cone and trumpet are massively out of line and I cant get the thread on the bar to match up with the top of the cone.  The trumpet doesn't seem to be sitting quiet right to me.

I am tempted to replace the trumpets for Hi Lo's anyway so I am thinking I might just cut through the trumpt as I just want to get working on the shell now!  :rolleyes:

#140 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:35 PM

I fitted HiLow's to mine with no issues. If you ever want to go back to original trumpets I always see plenty for sale 2nd hand at mini shows. You could pick some up and keep them just incase you ever wanted to go back to fully stock ? get that cutter out ,???

#141 jsyjamie

jsyjamie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:25 PM

Just read your thread from the start and I have to say amazing work Ben!

Puts into perspective the work I have in front of me to strip mine...

Thanks for all the pictures and the flickr album, it will definitely come in hand for my strip and rebuild!

#142 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:51 PM

Just read your thread from the start and I have to say amazing work Ben!

Puts into perspective the work I have in front of me to strip mine...

Thanks for all the pictures and the flickr album, it will definitely come in hand for my strip and rebuild!

Thanks for taking the time to read the build thread. I'm new to this and only get a few hours a week to work on the car so I'm sure progress could be much faster. I don't want to be divorced by the end of it so I'm taking my time. ?

#143 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 02:48 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates recently.  Struggling to find time between work / family and mini.

Anyway - Rubber cone / Trumpet saga over!!!  

Long story short I ended up being able to get the spring compressor to engage by a combination of a bar to try and angle the cone correctly, started to feel the compressor engage and then hit the top with a massive hammer.  The bar then threaded fine and I could compress the cone.  Threads on the compressor still look fine too which is a bonus.

49049230392_cff021e75e_b.jpg

49049018111_c0ce30ed9c_b.jpg

The rest of the exhaust and manifold removed. The exhaust is clearly a massive bodge so I just cut it out.

49049231482_8afa3e291a_b.jpg

49049230497_827ae4b71f_b.jpg

49049019216_6c8e8e5aff_b.jpg

49048518413_656d8d42bd_b.jpg

49048518503_b60d1dd93d_b.jpg

49048518558_088573ea4d_b.jpg

Exhaust Manifold

49048518628_a44c833512_b.jpg

I am getting a set of punches tonight to remove the gear selector rods from the gearbox tonight.
Once that's done I just need to make a trolley for the engine and shell out of a couple of sturdy pallets and castors. I can then remove the engine!!

Feel like I am very close to actually working on the body.

#144 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:47 AM

If you haven't already, I'd make sure you're making a parts list of things you need to buy, then if you find a deal on something you can jump on it. Check each thing off the list as you acquire them. Nothing more frustrating than to go to put something together and find you forgot some little bit that you can't assemble it without having......

Other than that....

I can see why these are so difficult to redo, the wiring alone would give me pause! You think you're taking a lot of pics but I guarantee you you'll wish you took more!

One more small tip, I tend to leave things in assemblies as much as possible, till I'm ready to rebuild them, then I clean and rebuild one side at a time with the other available for reference. The more of these assemblies you can complete the easier it will go back together when it's time, and you can work on them while you're waiting for parts to arrive or body work to be done.

Good luck, you have a very long road ahead, but don't get discouraged. Just work on one thing at a time and check it off the list. 

#145 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:07 AM

Keep up the good work Ben ??

#146 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:28 AM

looking good bud, soon be on with the body work!! 

have you decided whether your going for a roller jig ? ( fully recommend ) - wish I had got one at the start......

#147 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:18 AM

If you haven't already, I'd make sure you're making a parts list of things you need to buy, then if you find a deal on something you can jump on it. Check each thing off the list as you acquire them. Nothing more frustrating than to go to put something together and find you forgot some little bit that you can't assemble it without having......

Other than that....

I can see why these are so difficult to redo, the wiring alone would give me pause! You think you're taking a lot of pics but I guarantee you you'll wish you took more!

One more small tip, I tend to leave things in assemblies as much as possible, till I'm ready to rebuild them, then I clean and rebuild one side at a time with the other available for reference. The more of these assemblies you can complete the easier it will go back together when it's time, and you can work on them while you're waiting for parts to arrive or body work to be done.

Good luck, you have a very long road ahead, but don't get discouraged. Just work on one thing at a time and check it off the list. 

Thank you for the advice and your input.  Really appreciate it. 

I do have a list of things to get but I am going to put it on my whiteboard so I cant miss it.  :highfive:

Definitely like the idea of keeping as much assembled as possible.  I've carefully labelled as much as possible and its all boxed up, largely because I don't have the space not too!  :shy: 

Thank you for the encouragement.  I'm definitely NOT going to give up.  Love the car too much for that.

#148 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:19 AM

Keep up the good work Ben

Thanks for your encouragement as always!  :highfive:

#149 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:21 AM

have you decided whether your going for a roller jig ? ( fully recommend ) - wish I had got one at the start......

I am seriously considering it.  My two major concerns are space and cost.  :ohno:

Most of my body work is front end.  I am guessing these panels should be fitted without it being on a roller jig or do you think that doesnt matter?

Edited by Ben Rose, 12 November 2019 - 04:02 PM.

#150 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:23 PM

I am seriously considering it.  My two major concerns are space and cost.  :ohno:

Most of my body work is front end.  I am guessing these panels should be fitted without it being on a roller jig or do you think that doesnt matter?

yeah two fair points, they're not cheap....but you could build one ?

honestly I don't think you can correctly put a new front end on without using the front subframe as a bolt on guide as such ( could be wrong ) the roller jig uses the same mounting points.

if your only doing the front end, it might not be worth buying one...

someone might comment saying it can be done without subframe. all I know is it made life a lot easier haha and I knew it was square with the body 

keep up the good work 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users