Photo
- - - - -

Baghdad To Bolton ( A Full Rebuild To Aid Recovery )

roundnose

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#136 Davethepioneer

Davethepioneer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

Ok so time for a quick update.

I have the panels all beaten straight, filler applied, smoothed off and high build primer applied, 3 coats in total so the next step is to sand this down.

I will be applying dolphin glaze and top stop when needed. I'm blocking on a long board and short hand block with 120, 150, 220, 400, 600 and to finish before final base coat 1000 ( on advice from my paint sprayer friend )

Anyway here is a picture of my filler mixing board. It's a plastic grout spreader from B & Q. It's half the size of an A4 sheet of paper so is easy to hold, non messy, easy clean and because I mostly use metal spreaders its easy glide.

IMGP3891-1.jpg

My metal spreaders with the standard plastic ones that you get.

IMGP3892.jpg

Here is a straight edge that I use on the panels depending on the size ( I have a long piece of flexible metal for others ) this again is from B & Q is made of plastic so is easy clean and has really crisp clean edges so is perfect for what I use it for. Originally it's a painting guard!

IMGP3893.jpg

IMGP3895.jpg

IMGP3894.jpg

#137 Davethepioneer

Davethepioneer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

So here it is in action.

I've beaten the panel where the dent was to get it as close to true as possible. The shadow makes it look worse than it is here but it really was ever so slightly concave.

So a mix of Upol filler spread over the top and then my trusty straight edge ( flexible ) put into play!

IMGP3896.jpg

IMGP3897.jpg

Doing it this way where possible cuts down in the amount of filler used to watch the pennies and also it's less sanding once dry, but I'm sure 99% of the people reading this know all this already.

A few more pics of filler

IMGP3898.jpg

IMGP3899.jpg

IMGP3900.jpg

IMGP3901.jpg

IMGP3908.jpg

IMGP3907.jpg

#138 Davethepioneer

Davethepioneer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Here is a selection of some of the stuff I've been using or I'm about to use.

IMGP3902.jpg

Upol in my opinion is the best stuff you can use and get. Easy to mix and more importantly easy to work and shape one dry.

Tack rags, I hate the damn things, for some reason the feeling of them go through me like nails on a chalk board go through some people lol, they are essential though and make light work of picking any little bits up once I've gone over with panel wipe.

I've also been using disposable paint mixing cups and cone filters, just easy that way I think and less cleaning up to do when finished. The cups have handy
Indicator marks for mixing in 100ml.

I'm using cellulose primer paint so is a very easy 50/50 mix of paint and standard thinners in one cup and then transfer to another cup going through the cone mesh filter and then into my gun cup and that has a water/oil filter on the gun to stop anything coming from the compressor or air line.

#139 Davethepioneer

Davethepioneer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

So here it is in battleship grey high build primer all ready for the big smooth down!

IMGP3903.jpg

IMGP3904.jpg

IMGP3905.jpg

IMGP3906.jpg

Hope you have enjoyed the topic and updates so far!

#140 jpw1275

jpw1275

Up Into Fourth

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  • Local Club: I'm a carb addict!!!!!!!

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

hi dave .... looks fantastic buddy..... im hoping ive done my dash before you have hehe.... heres a quick picture of mine...i wasnt keen on the wood so i covered in black vinyl..... maybe when yours is finished and mine we both can cruise around bolton...;0)

20130718_194724_zps1bfe8b35.jpg

cheers james

#141 Davethepioneer

Davethepioneer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

hi dave .... looks fantastic buddy..... im hoping ive done my dash before you have hehe.... heres a quick picture of mine...i wasnt keen on the wood so i covered in black vinyl..... maybe when yours is finished and mine we both can cruise around bolton...;0)20130718_194724_zps1bfe8b35.jpg
cheers james

Looking good fella, good neat job there.

I'm not sure how mine is going to work yet as its originally designed to go in without a top dash rail but mine will have the dash rail in and I believe it forces the dash to a funny angle but I shall cross that bridge when I get to it. A cruise sounds good fella

#142 jpw1275

jpw1275

Up Into Fourth

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  • Local Club: I'm a carb addict!!!!!!!

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

ah didnt relise they were fitted without a top dash rail originally... guess i was lucky there then, needs to come out so i can finish the wiring behind.... was only a dummy fit to see how it looked

cheers james

keep up the good work...;0)

#143 Davethepioneer

Davethepioneer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

ah didnt relise they were fitted without a top dash rail originally... guess i was lucky there then, needs to come out so i can finish the wiring behind.... was only a dummy fit to see how it looked
cheers james
keep up the good work...;0)

Well that's what I've been told so I'm not sure how accurate that is but there is always a way, McGuyver always found a way :-)

#144 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Nice progress Dave! Always looks better in one colour! :) If you ever want a hand with the min let me know, I'd be happy to help, not sure what use I'd be mind... lol

#145 Davethepioneer

Davethepioneer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

Nice progress Dave! Always looks better in one colour! :) If you ever want a hand with the min let me know, I'd be happy to help, not sure what use I'd be mind... lol

Cheers fella, I shall call upon your services when the detailing needs doing, I've seen how your mini gleams once you have polished it

#146 Davethepioneer

Davethepioneer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

Ok so time for a little update.

I have put the stonechip on with very little problems. It reacted in a few areas but I was expecting that after someone mentioned that they had reactions with Hammerite.

IMGP3909.jpg

IMGP3911.jpg

Then it was time to mix the base coat.

IMGP3910.jpg

I decided to take a picture of the exact colour of the base coat. The first picture has the flash on and all sorts of colours are popping, it looks more like rainbow paint!

IMGP3912.jpg

So I took a picture of it without flash and looks more like the colour I'm after.

IMGP3913.jpg

#147 Davethepioneer

Davethepioneer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

First pass with the base colour.

IMGP3914.jpg

After 4 coats.

IMGP3915.jpg

IMGP3917.jpg

IMGP3916.jpg

I'm actually a bit confused about the paint, it is a dark grey but its really dark. When I saw on the Peugeot I'm sure it wasn't this dark.

I'm wondering if the light is throwing me off because the surface isn't smooth with it having stone-chip, or is it possible it's suppose to have a silver base underneath the grey like a candy apple does, but candy paint is translucent which means you have to have a base colour where as this grey is base and then lacquered.

If anyone can shed some light on this.....literally then I'm all ears!

#148 Davethepioneer

Davethepioneer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

The red tabs are just heat shrink sleeves placed over the tabs, not that your really going to see them!

It's going to be pretty slow progress for the next month or so as we are prepping for my sons 1st birthday, then my eldest lad leaves nursery, then it's prep time for his 4th birthday, then the family holiday, then a business trip to New York and then my eldest lad starts primary school so after all that things should settle down and I can crack on with it.

Hope you have all enjoyed the update and this topic so far.

#149 beastyheff

beastyheff

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

First pass with the base colour.

IMGP3914.jpg

After 4 coats.

IMGP3915.jpg

IMGP3917.jpg

IMGP3916.jpg

I'm actually a bit confused about the paint, it is a dark grey but its really dark. When I saw on the Peugeot I'm sure it wasn't this dark.

I'm wondering if the light is throwing me off because the surface isn't smooth with it having stone-chip, or is it possible it's suppose to have a silver base underneath the grey like a candy apple does, but candy paint is translucent which means you have to have a base colour where as this grey is base and then lacquered.

hi dave i seem to remember in the past they did use different colour primers for some paints ,especially for things like pearlescent paint ( i'm no paint expert ,but i think thats right ).i know yours isn't pearl. 

ps still no hinges ,so i cancelled those ones and sent the grill back ,lol. i've now ordered some bmw ones like yours , just got to wait for ebay seller to post them now .

#150 Davethepioneer

Davethepioneer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

First pass with the base colour.IMGP3914.jpg
After 4 coats.IMGP3915.jpgIMGP3917.jpgIMGP3916.jpg

hi dave i seem to remember in the past they did use different colour primers for some paints ,especially for things like pearlescent paint ( i'm no paint expert ,but i think thats right ).i know yours isn't pearl. 
ps still no hinges ,so i cancelled those ones and sent the grill back ,lol. i've now ordered some bmw ones like yours , just got to wait for ebay seller to post them now .
I've looked into this a little further. On the tin it says mica which I believe is pearlescent. It's not 3 stage pearl but a pearl mixed in with the base so you shoot it the same as any base or metallic but it does go some way to explain why it looks different in different light.

Hope you get the hinges soon, any help I can give just let me know.

Edited by Davethepioneer, 22 July 2013 - 07:11 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users