nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Local Club: south warwickshire minis

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:46 PM

What are the switches from?

I'm guessing early metro 82-85 (not the earliest)

You're right I think they're from a metro. Originally i thought they were just a belgian type (as my mini is belgian made) but i could never find reference to them. Eventually i spotted them randomly on a metro parts for sale page.

Only trouble is............................................

x2ffPWv.jpg

Looking at it, I think the silver mounting plate is different to that of the mini so may have to swap that for my spare too. 

#242 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:51 PM

Excellent work, Looks great! Where did you get the rubber that goes over the windscreen wiper motor? or is that an original part?

I managed to get hold of a load of ex military land rover wiper motors some years ago and this is one of those, the rubbers were already on them, I guess they don't have a full cover like the mini's.

Ah right, thats handy to know, a lot easier than the one I CNC machined :lol:. I managed to find them, although not as rubbery looking part number PRC3672 for anybody looking, comes with a lady wiper tube too :thumbsup:. cheers

9SNYHkH.jpg

#243 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:03 PM

That's a lovely clean engine bay 

Edited by nicnoo, 17 October 2020 - 10:08 PM.

#244 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:48 PM

Sorted 

crDkqHN.jpg

W7c1sUI.jpg

mcv2UuV.jpg

#245 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 10:04 PM

Slow but steady progress this past week.

Mostly i've been fighting electrical gremlins, most of which i have traced back to a seemingly sound fuse box. However, on closer inspection both the internal fuse terminals and the external cable terminals were making very poor contact mainly due to dirt and corrosion.

So I decided to go to town and strip it down to clean the terminals properly, and naturally i forgot to take any before photos.

After 10 mins in a nice vinegar/salt solution the terminals were nice, shiney, and clean.

d7wL5sm.jpg?1

And back together it goes.

0DqLcnw.jpg?1

And i'm pleased to report that I now have a fully functioning electrical system.

#246 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 02 November 2020 - 11:09 AM

Mostly i've been fighting electrical gremlins, most of which i have traced back to a seemingly sound fuse box. However, on closer inspection both the internal fuse terminals and the external cable terminals were making very poor contact mainly due to dirt and corrosion.

So I decided to go to town and strip it down to clean the terminals properly, and naturally i forgot to take any before photos.

After 10 mins in a nice vinegar/salt solution the terminals were nice, shiney, and clean.

And i'm pleased to report that I now have a fully functioning electrical system.

Had one of these on my Elf, it was a bit grubby so I ordered a replacement. The spring clips on the replacement were very poor quality so did not properly grip the fuses.

I decided to bite the bullet and install a newer type fuse box with more fuses in it. I know it is not original, but Riley never produced an Elf with a 1275 engine and disc brakes!

Attached File  AA86527B-EA1F-4CC0-85AD-81976A036211.jpeg   68.17K   4 downloads

#247 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 09:40 PM

Had one of these on my Elf, it was a bit grubby so I ordered a replacement. The spring clips on the replacement were very poor quality so did not properly grip the fuses.

I decided to bite the bullet and install a newer type fuse box with more fuses in it. I know it is not original, but Riley never produced an Elf with a 1275 engine and disc brakes!

attachicon.gif AA86527B-EA1F-4CC0-85AD-81976A036211.jpeg

Bit like my clubby estate, since it was my daily runner it got whatever fixes it needed regardless of originality. 

#248 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 09:43 PM

Bit more done tonight,

1 door done 1 to go

etJh55e.jpg

veGVj2P.jpg

#249 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:16 AM

Interesting door mirrors, where did you get them?

Will the passenger door mirror swivel far enough towards the driver? It is one of the problems with bullet mirrors.

#250 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:46 AM

Look like these:

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

They do have quite a bit of adjustment

Edited by GraemeC, 09 November 2020 - 11:46 AM.

#251 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 10:36 AM

Interesting door mirrors, where did you get them?

Will the passenger door mirror swivel far enough towards the driver? It is one of the problems with bullet mirrors.

Mirrors are from minispares, we have yet to see about visibility, i know what you mean though, I had a similar pair on my first mini and there were blind spots where you just couldn't position them correctly. 

#252 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 01:48 PM

More bits and bobs done.

First, had to extend the wires on the new fog and reverse lights so they actually reach inside the boot area.

2qOvr2i.jpg

Next cleaned and painted the seat mounts.

aD7lb00.jpg

Also had to swap out the choke cable for an MGA  one as its about 10cm longer and actually reaches the HIFF carb whilst still looking period.

#253 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 10:24 PM

Coming along very nice. It looks like it's going to be so nice. I think the colour combos are spot on.

#254 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 07:03 PM

Coming along very nice. It looks like it's going to be so nice. I think the colour combos are spot on.

Thank you, amazing how many others have the same idea on the colour scheme or maybe we just notice it more when you've got one.

#255 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 07:08 PM

Bonnet shines up nicely.

9dY2itX.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

0 user(s) are reading this topic