22 replies to this topic

#16 mikal

mikal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:16 AM

"Taste it... soak your finger with the fuel, then touch your tongue and wait a couple of seconds... If your tongue stings like a hot curry your fuel is ok

.. If your tongue doesn't sting the fuel is off, best drained and replaced with fresh"

If only I'd known that when I was a refinery Chemist my job would have been easier :lol: 
You are joking right?! :D 

#17 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:35 AM

<p>

"Taste it... soak your finger with the fuel, then touch your tongue and wait a couple of seconds... If your tongue stings like a hot curry your fuel is ok
.. If your tongue doesn't sting the fuel is off, best drained and replaced with fresh"

If only I'd known that when I was a refinery Chemist my job would have been easier :lol:

You are joking right?! :D

I'm actually serious here, yes once the fuel is tasted one will need to rinse the mouth but it's all good.

I've had 3 cases of bad fuel from both supermarkets and expensive fuel suppliers, there is usually excessive moisture in the tanks at the stations.

My test will take less than 5 seconds, unlike the few minutes needed for the other tests highlighted

#18 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 25 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

It may only take seconds as opposed to minutes but who is in that much of a hurry? As a chemical biologist I can only agree on what a monumentally bad idea this is.

#19 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:32 PM

Warning
Please be careful when answering peoples technical questions that you do not misguide them into taking inappropriate action. Not only is this annoying, but it can also be costly and could even be dangerous if the wrong information is given.

Some comments on here are damn right dangerous. Please note the warning above that was taken from the problems, questions and technical sub forum.

I know its hot gents but really .....................

#20 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:18 PM

A bad idea? So how do we siphon a mini tank again? My method above certainly isn't dangerous. I've done it for years and I'm still here.....

#21 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:28 PM

A bad idea? So how do we siphon a mini tank again? My method above certainly isn't dangerous. I've done it for years and I'm still here.....

With one of those 5£ handheld plastic pumps, Dunn.
I love it when people use "I'm still here" as an argument. I've jumped in front of a moving train, and I'm still here too. Not something that's the best idea, is it?

I do wonder, how do you think the small amounts of fuel you're ingesting ever leave your body?

Oh and https://cfpub.epa.go....cfm?deid=36176

#22 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:54 AM

I love it when people use "I'm still here" as an argument. I've jumped in front of a moving train, and I'm still here too. Not something that's the best idea, is it?

I do wonder, how do you think the small amounts of fuel you're ingesting ever leave your body?

We siphon using a hose, creating a vacuum to get the fuel moving, done correctly no fuel enters the body.

When i test fuel by wetting a finger with fuel, it isn't even 5ml that's placed on the tongue, then i wash out my mouth... no harm done at all. I will agree to disagree on this. Let's get the topic back on track.

#23 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:26 PM

We siphon using a hose, creating a vacuum to get the fuel moving, done correctly no fuel enters the body.

When i test fuel by wetting a finger with fuel, it isn't even 5ml that's placed on the tongue, then i wash out my mouth... no harm done at all. I will agree to disagree on this. Let's get the topic back on track.

You're inhaling fuel vapors that way, lots of them. 5£ is loads cheaper and easier than expensive hospital costs.

Even if it's only 0,5 ML that goes into your stomach in the end, where do you think it goes or what happens with it?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users