Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 23 June 2022 - 07:34 PM

https://www.theminif...rage-iow/page-2

Post #25 should show you enough.
Worth mentioning that the front edge of that closing panel goes under the step so don't don't alarmed if it seems too long.
The top edge should fit flush with the top edge of the inner sill so make sure it is before welding.

Cheers
Ben

#482 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 June 2022 - 10:07 PM

I'd say it would be pretty close once you drop it a fraction for the waist lines as Ben has said.

Regarding the spot welder, I think you should order some electrodes like Gilles has suggested, even with the arms angled outwards it was hard to get into places, I had to rotate the arms outwards to get to some places, but then you lose all the clamping force...

#483 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 09:38 AM

Worth mentioning that the front edge of that closing panel goes under the step so don't don't alarmed if it seems too long.
The top edge should fit flush with the top edge of the inner sill so make sure it is before welding.

Cheers
Ben

Thanks Ben for the link, all clearly explained as always!

The only question I have left is about the inner sill. My plan was to buy the floor pans with the inner and outter sills assembled, but was going to do that later on. Now I'm not sure if I can get that closing panel in position, without having the floor pans installed first? Surely access will be more difficult once the quarter panel is in, so perhaps the sequence of works I was proposing is incorrect.

Should I get the floors in first with inner and outter sills, and then do the closing panels and quarter panels?

Thanks

#484 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 09:39 AM

I'd say it would be pretty close once you drop it a fraction for the waist lines as Ben has said.

Regarding the spot welder, I think you should order some electrodes like Gilles has suggested, even with the arms angled outwards it was hard to get into places, I had to rotate the arms outwards to get to some places, but then you lose all the clamping force...

Thanks Colin, I really wanted to start welding without spending more money, but it might be better to get those electrodes...

#485 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 10:27 AM

Cheers
Ben

Thanks Ben for the link, all clearly explained as always!
The only question I have left is about the inner sill. My plan was to buy the floor pans with the inner and outter sills assembled, but was going to do that later on. Now I'm not sure if I can get that closing panel in position, without having the floor pans installed first? Surely access will be more difficult once the quarter panel is in, so perhaps the sequence of works I was proposing is incorrect.
Should I get the floors in first with inner and outter sills, and then do the closing panels and quarter panels?
Thanks

https://www.theminif...rage-iow/page-7
Try post #98 and #99. Shows an alternative was that might suit you better.

Cheers.
Ben

#486 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 12:48 PM

Thanks Ben, that looks like a good alternative for me.

I did some work this morning and finally managed to get the wheel arch in its final position and started welding it in place.

W8IUyO2.jpg

The first plug weld is in, but I cannot continue doing the rest as my clamps are no longer enough. I ordered a couple of 450mm clamps for this and other more tricky locations

3ZjeIxP.jpg

y6yeRPV.jpg

Same on the other side, just the first plug weld. I also closed the whole I did when separating the wheel arch stiffener.

Kf5hicc.jpg

I also weld the stiffener to the wheel arch, but forgot to take a photo.

As I couldn't continue welding until I receive the longer clamps, I decided to try the quarter panel again, to see if I can get it fit better.

zSSGMyu.jpg

I pushed it down to make it aligned with the boot floor, and also the waist line as advised. It sits much better now

16kgzQ5.jpg

XjyFVJa.jpg

The gap with the boot floor is now minimum, so I guess I can push the boot floor a bit up and that should do it

vyg5aYN.jpg

At the front seems to be sitting correctly

Kdl6pQa.jpg

And from inside looks okay as well

xyZLaG0.jpg

The only thing that is bothering me is the lip of the wheel arch, which is not running 'parallel' to the lip of the quarter panel. Protruding more at the back and flush at the front.

QKJzmBP.jpg

Q4KOmi3.jpg

Not sure if this is okay? What about the quarter panel, is it now in its correct position?

Thanks.

Victor.

Edited by Viktor, 25 June 2022 - 12:50 PM.

#487 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 01:26 PM

The quarter panel looks good.

As for the way the arch lip lines up on the tub, the only way you can tell which is the culprit is by feeling the quarter panel with your hand.
Feel it in all directions by running your hand over it and also look down it from the front and the back and look for any distortion.
If all looks good, then the arch tub needs rolling over inwards to meet the arch lip of the quarter panel.

You will want to make sure you get this bit right and definately go slow with all welding of that panel checking it with your hands as you go because any misalignment or distortion of this panel will cause you a headache during prep to correct it.

Ben

#488 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 10:54 AM

Thanks Ben, I'll see what I can do. I will make sure it is properly aligned before doing any more welding.  

My gut feeling is that the wheel arch is the culprit. I fought a bit with it to get into position, so that might have caused the issue. The quarter panel has been placed nicely, without pushing or forcing it into place, at it looks good when touching it and looking at it from different angles.

I will check the wheel arch again, to see where the issue might be.

Cheers.

Victor

#489 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 05:35 PM

I decided to look at something else today. I ordered a few weeks back the rear valance and the closing panels, so I did it a go to see how they fit.

First I put the closing panels in, using the subframe mounts holes, but then I realized that I have already 2 layers of reinforcement under the stiffeners, so this will make it a 3rd layer, so probably not good

qQBPE77.jpg

3irwVd5.jpg

In any case, with the closing panels in I put the rear valance in, but everything was way off.

8hXLYV7.jpg

luOYiKJ.jpg

Then, tried it the other way around, closing panels on the rear valance first, to see if then can be fit in the car, but basically no...

ctFE6MF.jpg

Then I decided to remove the closing panels and try fit the rear valance only. This Magnum panel fits really nicely using the holes at the end of the boot floor.

LOiNKxt.jpg

DBO26oh.jpg

With the rear valance in, I tried the closing panels but realized that the panel where the subframe mounting holes are, really needed to go. I cut the panel as per the below picture, to try it on the car, but that didn't work well. I spent 2h trying different options until I gave up. I don't have any more photos, as I was very frustrated with it...

iQrUuaA.jpg

Probably best to take a rest on this, and go back to the wheel arch and the quarter panel next time!

Victor.

#490 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 08:18 PM

thats a pity with the closing panels, but I'm sure you can get them to work, at the end of the day there only a closing panel and wont be seen.

#491 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 06:44 PM

I think I sort out the issue with the rear valance closing panels. Just bought new panels from Magnum and they fit nicely with the Magnum valance. ;)

OEkIaSX.jpg

Then I moved to the wheel arch. I bought a G-Clamp from B&Q to make sure both panels where perfectly fit before start welding. Such a nice tool for this job. Also got this new magnet lamp, perfect for welding.

xfOTRd2.jpg

Then I plug welded all the holes...

tZTVqNZ.jpg

Getting good penetration, as shown below

XVFegwk.jpg

All grinded down...

ktwC02K.jpg

And a bit of paint to finish it off. Very solid result this time.

DwhE5rP.jpg

I still have left to weld the wheel arch to the boot floor at the rear. I was going to spot weld it, but there's not much metal in contact, so I would need to plug welded it instead.

W0l0Fu4.jpg

Then I run out of time and couldn't even start it...

Hopefully more next week.

Victor

#492 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 July 2022 - 06:52 PM

I finished work early today, and managed to get into the garage to weld the wheel arch to the boot floor.

I drilled some holes in the piece

iuqHT7E.jpg

Then clamped and ready for welding

DKRBZBQ.jpg

Grinded down

G1VOECl.jpg

And this is how it looks from the top. Quite solid, with good penetration

7CHQnHd.jpg

Next time I will be welding the stiffeners into the wheel arch.

Victor

#493 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 07:17 PM

Some good progress today, closing things around the wheel arch. I also used the spot welder for the first time, what a brilliant thing to have! ;)

I clamped the back seat top panel to the wheel arch to get it welded

bwCTrQv.jpg

And welded

1CYyjjo.jpg

Same with the stiffener

0N3WsEc.jpg

And then grinded down

P9JfkLm.jpg

nN4qQvV.jpg

After that I moved into the companio bin / wheel arch

ZGfQcF8.jpg

And the companion bin with the rear seat. Shame I have done the holes already for plug weld. This would be ideal for the spot welder...

WBG7XDZ.jpg

All grinded down as best as I could

pNaxBaN.jpg

And to finish off I did a round of paint

mAzAD5u.jpg

kGlZuaM.jpg

22xPISs.jpg

NVAoxch.jpg

After that I decided to give it a go at the closing panel. First I preped the panel...

YyPOB0Y.jpg

Clamped in place with all I got...

wGwLasV.jpg

Good aligment underneath with the boot floor

t0AGlWy.jpg

And my first few spot welds. Next time I will try to align them better, but the welder is quite heavy and with the clamps is not always easy.

vWHF88l.jpg

It is so fast and clean using the spot welder. This might speed up the project a bit...

Victor

Edited by Viktor, 09 July 2022 - 07:18 PM.

#494 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 07:21 PM

I used the chain-lift tto support the spot welder  :shifty:

Attached File  IMG_20200819_101134.jpg   48.06K   6 downloads

#495 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 06:50 PM

I have been a way for a few weeks, but now back in action. I saw people have been busy with their projects, very good progress on a few cars I have been following.

Anyway, back to the garage and worked on the LH quarter panel. Same process as the other side, a few photos...

Starting point

70Hocre.jpg

Panel removed

kUlN1pk.jpg

J7rCS9B.jpg

Then removed the spot welds along the B-post

WJd8K2c.jpg

A bit of wire brush to clean up the superficial rust and paint

kMkUSOP.jpg

K-rust all over the place

O3gpSLK.jpg

And zinc primer to finish off

ETkrOws.jpg

Then I removed the wheel arch

xnWhTU8.jpg

Then I started to removed the rest of the wheel arch on the inside, which is always a pain. But this time I learned from the other side and I'm going much faster

mJBbXa1.jpg

Not bad for my retirn back!

Cheers

Victor.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

gaspen