Photo
- - - - -

Verto Clutch Refuses To Leave Even With Guessworks Tool!

engine

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Vudu

Vudu

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:30 PM

if you bent that then i am sorry you did not screw it in fully as there is no way it can bend when fitted as the back of it rests on the crank nose.

Nicklouse - you’re absolutely right. It was my mistake as I encountered some resistance screwing it in (threaded in very easy most of the way) and in my haste I assumed it bottomed out. A related problem - as it stands, there was very little bolt head left for the socket to grab... the clearance between the thrust sleeve and the bolt is very tight and I cannot find a socket with a thin enough wall to fit in there. Need to figure it a different way to tighten the remaining amount.

Also ... if you've managed to bend that bolt are your 3 "pulling" bolts all set to EXACTLY the same distance from the clutch face? I suspect that if you've bent that bolt (yes it should have been screwed in further) your 3 bolts are not equal, this is critical to removing the flywheel.

Bobbins - yes, I was very careful to make sure the bolt and the collar (?) of the tool were equidistant from the face of the assembly.

I should note that the collar remained parallel to the assembly throughout the effort and it was only as I gave everything a close inspection before removing that I noticed the bent center bolt of the tool... obviously caused by the error Nick noted.

Edited by Vudu, 06 June 2020 - 01:33 PM.

#32 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:39 PM

You might find that as the locating bolt had started to bend it had moved the force away from the centre line which would not be helping. New bolt needed and try again :)

Have you had a small blow torch on the area surrounding the flywheel? With mine I’m sure this is what finally released it.

#33 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:49 PM

And what about the wrong pulling bolts you changed out?

#34 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:37 PM

as i have a few bits lying about

bolt tightens to the crank

lGMtmXt.jpg

and the hex part helps stop the flywheel flying

FrLHsbc.jpg

and why you have the slot in the end of the crank horizontal. you dont want the C washer to slip like this as the flywheel starts moving.

usfsTen.jpg

#35 Vudu

Vudu

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:59 PM

as i have a few bits lying about
 bolt tightens to the crank
lGMtmXt.jpg

and the hex part helps stop the flywheel flying
FrLHsbc.jpg

and why you have the slot in the end of the crank horizontal. you dont want the C washer to slip like this as the flywheel starts moving.
usfsTen.jpg

Much thanks for the photo reference, nicklouse!

#36 Vudu

Vudu

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 06:44 PM

You might find that as the locating bolt had started to bend it had moved the force away from the centre line which would not be helping. New bolt needed and try again :)

Have you had a small blow torch on the area surrounding the flywheel? With mine I’m sure this is what finally released it.

Bobbins - yes, not having the bolt properly seated as Nicklouse had mentioned definitely allowed it to bend and then deflect the pulling force. I’ve contacted John at Guessworks about purchasing a new center bolt. Hopefully he is willing to supply just that part.

Did not try a blowtorch yet - went the cold route with a product called Freeze-off.

#37 Vudu

Vudu

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 06:47 PM

And what about the wrong pulling bolts you changed out?

No problem with the replacement pulling bolts. They stayed straight and the threads remain in perfect condition... grade 8 hardware is up to the task.

#38 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:08 PM

Try this.... get the puller back on and the threads to equal lengths. Get the pressure back on, then through the starter motor hole get a 3/4" breaker bar. hold one end in your right hand and with your left hand hold the shaft loosely about 6 inches in from the left of the bar just to keep the bar straight and hit the fly through the hole. Bit like holding a snooker cue except cupping your left hand if that makes sense. I had the same issue and this was the way I got it off. It seemed so easy once I did it. Don't forget to line the slots on the lock tab up horizontaly so the c clip doesn't fall into the fly otherwise it's a disaster.

Edited by blacktulip, 07 June 2020 - 11:11 PM.

#39 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:35 AM

Bobbins - yes, not having the bolt properly seated as Nicklouse had mentioned definitely allowed it to bend and then deflect the pulling force. I’ve contacted John at Guessworks about purchasing a new center bolt. Hopefully he is willing to supply just that part.

Did not try a blowtorch yet - went the cold route with a product called Freeze-off.

Definitely try some heat :)

#40 duffdub

duffdub

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:43 AM

Any one ever not been able to get their flywheel off? I tried using a universal puller with no result. Waiting on one to come from mini spares at the moment

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users