175 replies to this topic

#61 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:08 PM

Went up my workshop for a few hours today.

Picked my my third R65 from my storage lock-up and this one seemed to be in slightly better condition than my other two, also it had the bottom mount fitted and my other two boxs didnt have this (i was just going to make up my own mounts) so that saved me some time, so i took the gearbox off, swapped the gearbox over and everything fitted back into the frame, and now i could bolt up the bottom rear mount, so now there is next to no movement in the engine.

Posted Image

Then i decided to offer up the engine to see how much bulkhead needed cutting:

Posted Image

After a few more times of offering it up and cutting i ended up with this, i also had grind some parts of the inlet for clearance:

Posted Image

So this meant i could bolt the tower mounts up now and have no rubbing and this shows the clearance:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Frame bolted in place:

Posted Image

Posted Image

So who thinks ill meet my deadline of August 31st 2009?

That means iv got 44 days, should be easily doable, but just depends on funds and how much time i can find.

Posted Image

Edited by Tomf, 18 July 2009 - 08:09 PM.

#62 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:49 PM

I reccon the hardest part will be getting the V5 changed and possibly getting it MOT'd (but you probably know people who will quite happily do it for you). Some people seem to be having some difficulties getting it changed without having to supply reports and reciepts etc.....

#63 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

Good luck mate, really hope you can pull it off - vvc mini will be rapid :lol:

Still got the green one just in case though ?

#64 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

I reccon the hardest part will be getting the V5 changed and possibly getting it MOT'd (but you probably know people who will quite happily do it for you). Some people seem to be having some difficulties getting it changed without having to supply reports and reciepts etc.....

Yea, iv already had the guy that does my MOTs say hes happy with my frame and he said that if DVLA ask for a report hes going to get his mate to get a report done on it as soon as its in for me, so i can get the V5 stuff sorted asap, ill probs just go up to VOSA and see if they can speed up the process for me.

Good luck mate, really hope you can pull it off - vvc mini will be rapid :lol:

Still got the green one just in case though ?

Yea hopefully it will be a bit fast, it was rapid enough in the MGF and that was ruddy heave, i couldnt even move the back of the shell, when it was completely stipped down, where as with the clubman estate i can happily move it round, withough much effort atall.

Iv still got loads to do, but think if i have the funds ill make the time.

But yea iv still got the green mini if it comes to it, but if i can see i wont get the clubman estate done in time a week before ill have to buy a new engine i think as mine is getting pretty tiered now.

Edited by Tomf, 18 July 2009 - 09:19 PM.

#65 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:54 PM

Does he want to do me a report aswell if my V5 comes back unchanged :lol: Sent mine off the other day, just waiting for it to come back all changed hopefully and not challenged.

#66 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:27 PM

Not much to update really, i had a little play with the clutch pedal over the weekend and ended up some something like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

once i have the cable clutch mounted to the bulkhead then i can just cut a grove in the extra bar iv added to hold the cable where i need.

Today i made up the box for where i had to cut the bulkhead:

Posted Image

Then i welded the sides of the boxs together, and started welding it in place, but then i ran out of gas so couldnt get it fully welded in :thumbsup:

Posted Image

And the engine/frame fitted to check for clearance, as you can see in the below pictures iv also cut the big weight off the gearbox selector arm:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Tomf, 20 July 2009 - 10:29 PM.

#67 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:12 AM

thats the sort problem i encountered all the time when i was doing my 2.0 conversion on my old fiesta althought swap only took 12 hours :thumbsup:

was Rapid when done look on you tube fiesta mk3.5 2.0 dyno run if its purple with white wheels youve found my old car the bear

#68 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:00 AM

ill have a look later and see if i can find it. Is it a 2ltr zetec conversion? if so its a hell of alot more simple to a converison like this as all you have to do is change the sump, flywheel and oil pickup and make up one mount.

But yea still a quick motor when done.

Iv doing the 2ltr conversion to a KA for class 6 autograss, once i finish the C/E

#69 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:03 AM

yeh was a simple compaired to this but still a *woman of ill repute* u know as well as me how tight the pully system is on the engine

i loved that car just tooo fast

#70 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:05 AM

save u some time was fast

#71 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:29 PM

Lol yea i took the pulley belt off the 2ltr zetec im using today and i must say its one of the longest belts and goes round so many pulleys.

Well today i revived a few more bits, but missed two parcels as i went to buy more gas :thumbsup: so ill collect them tomorrow.

What i did recive though was adjustable tie-bars to bolt up to my adjustable bottom arms, along with those i received some solid tower mounts:

Posted Image

So as i had the gas i quickly finished welding up the gear linkage box and seam sealed it:

Posted Image

Then i started on the top bulkhead cutout:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And final section welded in and seam sealed the lot:

Posted Image

So now i have offered the engine back up and it all cleared nicely :)

So before i bolt it all in properly ill be stone chipping the whole bulkhead. And ill also take the engine out the frame again, hopefully for the last time now and ill modify the end bar so there is room for an alternator belt. So aslong as i can get hold of some stone chip tomorrow the engine will be being bolted up hopefully for its last time :lol: but im sure it wont be lol.

Then i can get on with wiring it up :lol:

Edited by Tomf, 21 July 2009 - 10:30 PM.

#72 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:33 PM

great job love it :)

#73 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:35 PM

Crikey, took me about 8 months to get the that stage. You'll be finished by the weekend.

#74 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

Crikey, took me about 8 months to get the that stage. You'll be finished by the weekend.

Haha i wish it would be finished by the weekend.

Is yours MOT yet then?

This morning i brought some stone chip on the way to work, so got the bulkhead all stone chipped up:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also i took the engine out, modified the drivers side engine mount support bar, so i can now just about squeeze a belt through, and fitted the engine back in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fitted up the adjustable tie-bars.

Posted Image

Then i got the frame bolted up, and the front end offered up to make sure everything cleared properly, not sure what ill be doing about a rad yet, might have to run a couple of very small ones...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#75 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:52 PM