Photo
- - - - -

Verto Clutch Refuses To Leave Even With Guessworks Tool!

engine

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Vudu

Vudu

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:09 PM

I'm about at my wit's end with regard to trying to remove the verto clutch and flywheel from my 1275 A+ engine. It's been a steady escalation of force that to date has resulted in one broken puller, one broken bolt and an untold amount of frustration.

It's even laughing at my latest tool configuration which includes a Guess-works puller (seriously beefy stuff) and an Ingersol Rand impact wrench (I ran out of might using an impact socket on my 24" breaker bar... plus the engine isn't anchored to anything so I'm somewhat limited with levered force).

In between attempts with the breaker bar and then ultimately the impact wrench, I've been hitting the end of the puller center bolt in an attempt to possibly jar the fit apart. A couple of times this allowed the bolt to turn an additional, albeit nearly imperceptible amount.

I've been eagerly awaiting the telltale "bang" that others have said to expect when it finally comes loose but so far, nada.

I'm getting really desperate and am getting closer to the final caveman solution: my 4.5" grinder and cutting discs however I fear damaging the crank.

Anyone have any advice at this point? I don't have a torch so the application of heat is not an option. And in case anyone is wondering, I'm only using the Guess-works supplied bolt for the crank end so there should be no interference with the clutch that would prevent it from coming loose.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Attached Files

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:11 PM

Tighten. Leave. Tighten. Leave. Tighten. Etc can take time.

you have taken the washer out.

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:19 PM

So i don't assume, is the green stuff on the threads, grease? If not, its always worth putting it on the threads of the centre bolt of the puller.

#4 Vudu

Vudu

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:25 PM

When you say "washer" I'm assuming you're referring to the flywheel keyplate, correct? If so, then yes, it's been removed. As far as time is concerned, are we talking about days?

So i don't assume, is the green stuff on the threads, grease? If not, its always worth putting it on the threads of the centre bolt of the puller.

Yes, the green stuff is grease but I can apply more if it helps achieve the goal.

#5 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:36 PM

Are the thre bolts screwed into the flywheel exactly the same amount?

I’ve previously had success with taking everything off and starting again.

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:39 PM

I once had a Verto unit take almost 3 weeks to come off.
I used plumbers Arctic Freeze and a flame torch on it alternately, combined with a breaker bar and heavy hammer.
When I was considering risking damage to the crankshaft with a big grinding disc, it suddenly just popped off.

#7 Vudu

Vudu

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:39 PM

Are the thre bolts screwed into the flywheel exactly the same amount?

I’ve previously had success with taking everything off and starting again.

I was very careful in that regard, measuring multiple times before tightening the center bolt. They're even to within a 1/32nd.

#8 Vudu

Vudu

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:42 PM

I once had a Verto unit take almost 3 weeks to come off.
I used plumbers Arctic Freeze and a flame torch on it alternately, combined with a breaker bar and heavy hammer.
When I was considering risking damage to the crankshaft with a big grinding disc, it suddenly just popped off.

So perhaps it's the threat of existential violence that it really responds to, hmmmm......

Well it's not the only project in the garage at the moment so if it takes 3 weeks, so be it. I have other battles that I'm fighting in the land of Austin Healey Sprite.

#9 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:47 PM

I'm afraid I have no help to add over the above advice but just wanted to say that is one serious puller, if that doesn't get it off then its not coming off (unless you cut it)!

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:51 PM

Also no help, but a hydraulic one will get it off in seconds

#11 71Green-Clubby

71Green-Clubby

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local Club: British mini club

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:52 PM

if its that tight its possible the c washer on the primary gear has dropped down locking everything up. Release the tension and rotate the flywheel 180%  give the flywheel a gentle tap then try again.  You may have to  give the back of the flywheel a few taps through the starter opening with a sturdy block and a lump hammer whilst the puller is tensioned

#12 Vudu

Vudu

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:53 PM

I'm afraid I have no help to add over the above advice but just wanted to say that is one serious puller, if that doesn't get it off then its not coming off (unless you cut it)!

Yeah, a big shoutout to Guessworks - that puller is mighty stout (although unfortunately the supplied UNC bolts were too big for the holes in the puller...the shank was just a touch too big so I had to seek out some grade 8 bolts that would work).

#13 Vudu

Vudu

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:55 PM

Also no help, but a hydraulic one will get it off in seconds

"that's how its done".... satisfying.

if its that tight its possible the c washer on the primary gear has dropped down locking everything up. Release the tension and rotate the flywheel 180%  give the flywheel a gentle tap then try again.  You may have to  give the back of the flywheel a few taps through the starter opening with a sturdy block and a lump hammer whilst the puller is tensioned

I will give that a try. Thanks for the advice!

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:59 PM

When you say "washer" I'm assuming you're referring to the flywheel keyplate, correct? If so, then yes, it's been removed. As far as time is concerned, are we talking about days?

Yes, the green stuff is grease but I can apply more if it helps achieve the goal.

Ok the puller is on the wrong way round.

how long it can take days or longer. 

or like John in this video just seconds. Note puller orientation.

https://youtu.be/uzLZhPGdpyE

#15 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:09 PM

If you leave it under tension make sure it's facing a strong wall as it come off like a bullet and will damage anything or anybody that gets in its way.

Apparently incorrect info. Nicklouse has mentioned that there is a retainer of some sorts built into the puller.

Edited by whistler, 25 May 2020 - 09:52 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users