#16 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 16 December 2023 - 09:02 PM

A 1098cc A-series fitted to my wife's Midget never seemed to have much grunt compared to my A35s 948. Tried timing but it was still sluggish.

So took it to a Crypton tuning place to put it on their system. Technician was also baffled ...

.. until he pulled the HT lead off cylinder 3 and it kept running. Then he pulled the lead off 4 .. and it kept running. Our 1098 was 549cc's!!!

Even started with both leads off so one damaged valve may still not be the reason yours will not start.

It had burnt exhaust valves on 3 & 4 which we think was down to running very lean on the rear carb (twin 1 1/4 SUs). A tebuild revealed it had different needles in the carbs!

Had the head rebuilt by a friend-of-a-friend who ran a Ford tuning shop in Hanwell, W7. New everything including springs.

I decided to rebild the bottom end with new bearings, etc as the engine was out.

Went like a dream after that.

#17 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,417 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 December 2023 - 10:44 PM

I guess the starting issue is on the back burner for a bit!

However, it's the right age to have ballasted ignition so the ignition could be firing via the bypass (when cranking) but give nothing via the ballast. Simplest check is to see if there's any sign of life at the coil -ve with the ignition light on. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users