17 replies to this topic

#16 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 09:24 AM

Or just forget the unreliable "in dissy" modules as they are the most likely cause of roadside breakdowns.
Go with points and if you desire dwell control look at sparkrite.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement, I'd guess a large percentage of clasic cars in general are now running module type ignition systems, after all its just an electronic switch really. The quality of points an condensers in this part of the world is generally pretty abysmal unless you source the parts from someone like " The distributor Doctor ". I always keep a spare module in the car but its been untouched.Even if it did go it would be some much quicker to change with no gapping to worry about etc.

Shooter

#17 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 25 February 2024 - 02:44 AM

Or just forget the unreliable "in dissy" modules as they are the most likely cause of roadside breakdowns.
Go with points and if you desire dwell control look at sparkrite.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement, I'd guess a large percentage of clasic cars in general are now running module type ignition systems, after all its just an electronic switch really. The quality of points an condensers in this part of the world is generally pretty abysmal unless you source the parts from someone like " The distributor Doctor ". I always keep a spare module in the car but its been untouched.Even if it did go it would be some much quicker to change with no gapping to worry about etc.

Shooter
The modules are fine while they work but they cannot handle the heat of an engine block and their heat sinking is insufficient which is why they fail. And having a set of points and condensor set up on a baseplate ia as cheap and easy to replace as a module and no gapping required

Edited by Steam, 25 February 2024 - 02:46 AM.

#18 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 26 February 2024 - 01:15 PM

Having the module inside the distributor is a poor idea due to heat. Electronic modules used to be external and have heatsinks for a good reason.

Yes there are poor points and condensers however it is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. I have more issues with caps and coils which are still needed with electronic modules.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical, engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users