#31 hotwheels

hotwheels

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

The guys a crook and thats for sure.

The engine he sold leeuk was a dog, a nice looking motor but useless.

Have a look at his feedback as a buyer, he buys 2nd ebay stuff, untested engines and shiney bits.  Then bolts them together and hey presto, a new engine.

When I was helping lee track down the guy we discovered that he is also 'active' in swinging websites, and goes by the name "Horny Carl".  I've got his facebook somewhere if you want it.

yes please gimme his facebook if you can find it!!

The seller and his address is easy enough to find by doing a quick google search of his name and the area that he lives, If you don't have his address but would like it just give me a shout as im sure I still have his address somewhere,

As shifty has said the engine he sold me was a scrap engine that was painted nicely with a new shiny rocker cover etc, The seller didn't even bother to fit a new water pump he just painted it, Upon discovering this I contacted the seller only to have him put the phone down on me, He wouldn't answer my calls nor would he answer to my messages,

I was happy to get most of my money back and go onto buy an engine from a forum member, Its just a shame im experiencing the no contact game again with the chap that rebuilt this engine for me,

You buy an engine for good money and you expect it to be what it is supposed to be, Its a shame that there are sellers out there abusing the mini scene but where there's money to be made these scammers/kn-bs are like valchers ready to pounce.

All that said mate fingers crossed your engine is good and doesn't require a total strip down.

from my experience of this seller once he has your money he isn't interested so if the engine is not as described you will have to fight all the way to get some money back out of him, Just a word of warning the seller knew the ins and outs of paypals rules and regulations as when I opened my paypal dispute he was always on the phone to them feeding paypal with bull sh-t as my claim went back and fourth from being in my favour and then the sellers,

Whenever I got my point across to paypal and they marked the claim as in my favour he would then phone them back up with a load more bullsh-t so as the claim then would go back towards his favour, I had a game with paypal to be fair as I presume the seller has had many dealings with them and knows his ways around it, I think myself very lucky that paypal in the end awarded the claim in my favour,

The seller needs to be stopped.

yea i am not a happy camper right now, :/ i still have my old motor that needs rebuilding and im sure i can find him in my papal staements and try to file a claim but from what you said sounds like a real hassel, but ill seee what i can do....., im gonna take the head off to see what i got, but b4 i did that, i emptied the new oil i put in it, and there was a bunch of tiny metal shavings every where and i no thats not good, came out watery too and smelled like gas... ughhhh

also the noise is not from the radiator fan hittin the breather, and its definatly internal because as i put my head near cylinder 3 n 4 its very distincnt, sounds like it lies right where the cam is really.. im borrowing my friends hoist and ill probly be take the engine out to start a strip down ughhh :///

Attached Files

#32 leeuk

leeuk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:47 AM

Pm`d ;-)

#33 hotwheels

hotwheels

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

i took the head off and im almost positive that i have used pistons, not brandnew :/ but the head does and block do look like they were shaved down corretly.

on pistons 2 and 4 i can see 2 round indent marks that looks like the pistons could have been hitting the valves? mayb causing the knocking im hearing??

also are the pistons suppose to move a little bit around inside the bore of the block?

cylinder 4 when turning over,as the piston goes back down it leaves a little bit of oil behind in the bore ? this bad? need new rings?

i forgot how youtube messes up the quality, its hard to make it out

PHOTOS OF PISTONS HEAD BLOCK

https://www.flickr.c...otos/klegraefe/

#34 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

I am guessing - 

the piston is from an engine , that has had a big end fail , and it let the piston hit the valve

or your engine has had the block / head skimmed too far & valve hit slightly 

or a end is a bit lose - allowing the piston to hit the valve

I think it is a mix & match of used parts - but it does look like it has had a rebore / skim - but not easy to see on a vid

pistons should have a bit of movement - but yet again - hard to see on a vid

#35 hotwheels

hotwheels

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

if the block/head was skimmed to far, is there a. way to fix this problem?? i could use my head off my old 1000cc engine? and do you think the piston will be okay with those dings/dents in them?

look at the pictures i took

#36 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

I can only guess - without being there , it's hard to tell by photos

if the block had been decked - the pistons sometimes stick out a fraction - this can be overcome by a thicker head gasket , or skimmed pistons

another possibility is someone built up the engine , & turn't it on the starter , with an over adjusted valve's & they hit

also cam chain could have broke (usually more damage)

send pics to pay pal - ebay resolution center - point out the used parts - start a claim - but would cost a lot to post back

& we already know what the seller is like to buyers

I wouldn't use the 1000cc head , 

#37 hotwheels

hotwheels

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

thanks for the info, but when i turn the engine over by hand, the tops of the pistons dont go past higher than the deck like you were sayin it might go out a fraction but it seems okay, ill check again and get a photo

also. i bought the engine april 6 2013 and its 5 months later, i made a claim on paypal but they said it was over 45 days and is too late or somethin like that, but ill keep waitin mayb paypal will cone through and help me out!! not to mention i got the engine in the middle of june haha, took forever to get, went through customs and everythin, such a hassel, but i would def send it back if i can

#38 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

keep pushing ebay -- it costs nothing for an email 

but I'm sure you are too late - sadly 

Edited by sledgehammer, 08 September 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#39 hotwheels

hotwheels

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

i think i am too, but im gonna try to pull the whole motor out once i get my buddies hoist, then ill strip it down, and see if any thing else looks funny...

i forgot to mention, when i had it started, swithcing into the reverse gear, it grinds, but eventuallu goes into gear, same thing happened with my old motor.

#40 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

Its normal that piston leave some oil in the bore, but thats a bit too much. I cant see any of the honing marks i'd expect from a rebuilt engine. And too much side movement on pistons.

As above, looks like its been rebuilt by using some random used parts..

#41 hotwheels

hotwheels

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

it does have that light swirl scrathes in the bore wholes if thats what you mean by "honing" its hard to see in the pics though.
yes and all the pistons move side to side like that

#42 hotwheels

hotwheels

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

anyone know where i can get a THICK head gasket from?
i want to try a thicker gasket, i have the copper composit one as of now but need something thicker

i tried 7ent.com but they dont show sizes

#43 hotwheels

hotwheels

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

cam timing off ??

#44 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

Do a dummy build with some plastigauge and see what the static pistons clearance is

#45 Da11yn

Da11yn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

put a feeler gauge down the side of the piston between the piston and block when the piston is around 10 mm from tdc this will tell you if it is out of tolerance. haynes manuals have the figures.

could try reassembling without the head gasket  and only turn over by hand, this way if it is valve slightly contacting the reduction in clearance will probably be felt or lock the engine.

i have seen similar symptoms on a land rover engine but the knocking was a lot louder turned out it was a botched rebuild and all the big ends were only finger tight so it was only at engine running speeds and therefore loads that the pistons would contact the valves. unfortunately in the mini this means engine out and separation from the gearbox to investigate.

the turbo head gasket is meant to be 1 cc thicker than the copper gaskets when compressed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users