• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:55 PM

really hate to post this but read this thread carefully 

http://www.theminifo...rdered-1275-40/

S#!T

rip the head off & see what you have got

Edited by sledgehammer, 05 September 2013 - 10:57 PM.

#18 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

Yup, I was just gonna post up the same thing.

http://www.theminifo...to-avoid/page-4

Its worth stripping the engine you've got to make sure its ok.

#19 Earwax

Earwax

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

I wouldn't strip first.   Do as cooperman suggests.   Set it static.    Set tappet clearance correctly.  Get fuel and spark to Number 1 and 2 .   If problem - check those things - eg stuffed leads or blockage of fuel or stuck needle .

Check rockers are fouling .    Then if still problems , you explore them

#20 leeuk

leeuk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

I have only just come across this, I feel for you mate I really do as it was myself that started that thread after nearly being ripped off by the same seller "horney carl"

I do hope all is well and you have received what you paid for but as previously said you do really need to whip the head off if only for piece of mind, Best of luck ;-)

#21 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:47 PM

Your problem lies in the valves and rocker geometry. 

Its clear in you second video. You need a slightly thicker spacer for the rocker post and to check that valve guides are fitted correctly. 

#22 hotwheels

hotwheels

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

Da11yn good i dea, ill try the hose thing tomorrow and check the breather near the fan!!

#23 hotwheels

hotwheels

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

damn im about to get real angry if this salty asshole ripped me off. it took 2 months to ship it over seas, theres noway of takin it back outta my car to ship it back, f!$% F@$% F$%# :mmkay:  :mmkay:  :mmkay:  :mmkay:  :mmkay:  :mmkay:  :mmkay:

iLL  be ripping off the head this weekend, what exactly should i be looking for, see if the pistons look new and how do i tell if the block was actually bored?

my car has been off the road for 9 months now, and all i want to do is drive it :/ why would people do that kinda thing?? really?

Edited by hotwheels, 06 September 2013 - 12:39 AM.

#24 hotwheels

hotwheels

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

Your problem lies in the valves and rocker geometry. 

Its clear in you second video. You need a slightly thicker spacer for the rocker post and to check that valve guides are fitted correctly. 

im a little lost, what post should i actually be adding a washser too and is checking the valve guides easy to doo?? im a little lost hahah

#25 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

Before stripping down the whole engine, i'd check and correct valve train geometry, coils are too much squashed with too much movement around.

I've just opened the link to the ebay auction and have to say yes, the builder is suspicious, and you paid good money for this engine.

I dont know if its better to fix the issue now, or to take it to a competent engine builder for inspection, because having a report from a reputable engineer will be essential if you go to the court.

Decide what to do first. I dont want that you just fix the valvetrain, then after 2000 miles you engine goes boom because its hiding some other bodges inside.

#26 hotwheels

hotwheels

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

Before stripping down the whole engine, i'd check and correct valve train geometry, coils are too much squashed with too much movement around.

I've just opened the link to the ebay auction and have to say yes, the builder is suspicious, and you paid good money for this engine.

I dont know if its better to fix the issue now, or to take it to a competent engine builder for inspection, because having a report from a reputable engineer will be essential if you go to the court.

Decide what to do first. I dont want that you just fix the valvetrain, then after 2000 miles you engine goes boom because its hiding some other bodges inside.

i would love to get my money back but realisticly i work 40 hours a week then i have school, and basically have a full time girl friend not to mention my other hobbies, MY TIME is very limited, in my case i might b better off bringing it to a mechanic around here or goin through it myslef, yes thats what im gonna do.

i also do have the haynes mini manual which has helped me a long ways since i got my car!! i will check the valve train geo

as i stated b4 earlyer, the guy gave me the valve clearances and everything, and all the specs which i finally have all correct, its just my carbs that are still way off, but realistically i dont think it will stop the knocking, the videos are hard to judge the sound, i think imght have to rip the motor apart and really see whats goin on... ughhh:/

#27 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

The guys a crook and thats for sure.

The engine he sold leeuk was a dog, a nice looking motor but useless.

Have a look at his feedback as a buyer, he buys 2nd ebay stuff, untested engines and shiney bits.  Then bolts them together and hey presto, a new engine.

When I was helping lee track down the guy we discovered that he is also 'active' in swinging websites, and goes by the name "Horny Carl".  I've got his facebook somewhere if you want it.

#28 Yoda

Yoda

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Local Club: Medway mini club

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

Reading "rock hard pooh" in your sig, makes me wonder how you know "swingers" sites?

But yes, looks like we need to crack down on this guy somehow.

(starts singing, If I had a Hammer!)

Why cant these people be tracked down and forced to pay back victims, then just be put away for a very long time.

Edited by Yoda, 06 September 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#29 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

i would love to get my money back but realisticly i work 40 hours a week then i have school, and basically have a full time girl friend not to mention my other hobbies, MY TIME is very limited, in my case i might b better off bringing it to a mechanic around here or goin through it myslef, yes thats what im gonna do.

i also do have the haynes mini manual which has helped me a long ways since i got my car!! i will check the valve train geo

as i stated b4 earlyer, the guy gave me the valve clearances and everything, and all the specs which i finally have all correct, its just my carbs that are still way off, but realistically i dont think it will stop the knocking, the videos are hard to judge the sound, i think imght have to rip the motor apart and really see whats goin on... ughhh:/

Getting to a mini-mechanic sounds like a good option. You can either ask for help to someone on here, as minilee did. Or you can even take it to a reputable engine builder. Dodd, Calver, Green & white Minis and many others are all proven to be very helpful in such similar-if not worse- situations.

As for 'name and shame', we already run a topic on here, on the traders sub-forum, and this ebay member was already mentioned in the topic. Always good to have a research about product and services before buying.

I really hope your wont end up with a major rebuild and a huge waste of money and time, maybe its just the rockers that need fixing.

The carbs can be set up correctly on the rollers with no matter though.

#30 leeuk

leeuk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

The seller and his address is easy enough to find by doing a quick google search of his name and the area that he lives, If you don't have his address but would like it just give me a shout as im sure I still have his address somewhere,

As shifty has said the engine he sold me was a scrap engine that was painted nicely with a new shiny rocker cover etc, The seller didn't even bother to fit a new water pump he just painted it, Upon discovering this I contacted the seller only to have him put the phone down on me, He wouldn't answer my calls nor would he answer to my messages,

I was happy to get most of my money back and go onto buy an engine from a forum member, Its just a shame im experiencing the no contact game again with the chap that rebuilt this engine for me,

You buy an engine for good money and you expect it to be what it is supposed to be, Its a shame that there are sellers out there abusing the mini scene but where there's money to be made these scammers/kn-bs are like valchers ready to pounce.

All that said mate fingers crossed your engine is good and doesn't require a total strip down.

from my experience of this seller once he has your money he isn't interested so if the engine is not as described you will have to fight all the way to get some money back out of him, Just a word of warning the seller knew the ins and outs of paypals rules and regulations as when I opened my paypal dispute he was always on the phone to them feeding paypal with bull sh-t as my claim went back and fourth from being in my favour and then the sellers,

Whenever I got my point across to paypal and they marked the claim as in my favour he would then phone them back up with a load more bullsh-t so as the claim then would go back towards his favour, I had a game with paypal to be fair as I presume the seller has had many dealings with them and knows his ways around it, I think myself very lucky that paypal in the end awarded the claim in my favour,

The seller needs to be stopped.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users