Photo
- - - - -

What Should I Rebore My 1300 Metro Engine To And What Pistons Should I Buy?

engine

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:37 AM

thanks alot guys, does anyone know of a good and relatively cheap company who would cnc machine port my head for me to give me a bit more power?

But why....you already have a stage 4 head don't you???

Plus cheap and machining, are not usually in the same sentence, and certainly not along with good quality and reliable!!!!!

As I said, and as Cooperman said (he does know his stuff by the way!) TORQUE is really what you are after on the road.  Revving a car hard on the road is fun for a nice trip out along your favourite road when the weather is nice and you can pretend you are in the Italian Job, but driving it every day, you'll end up rebuilding it very often and deaf.

#32 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:44 PM

Besides, it's way easier to pick up your lady friends in a classic mini with a normal engine than when you'll  try to pick them up whilst constantly needing to rev the engine etc etc. Just something to consider  :bah:

I wish I was still young enough for doing this ;D . But looking back I can remember it all so well, like it was yesterday. by 'eck, but it was fun!!!

#33 olliewiltshire

olliewiltshire

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Life

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:52 AM

thanks alot guys, does anyone know of a good and relatively cheap company who would cnc machine port my head for me to give me a bit more power?

But why....you already have a stage 4 head don't you???

Plus cheap and machining, are not usually in the same sentence, and certainly not along with good quality and reliable!!!!!

As I said, and as Cooperman said (he does know his stuff by the way!) TORQUE is really what you are after on the road.  Revving a car hard on the road is fun for a nice trip out along your favourite road when the weather is nice and you can pretend you are in the Italian Job, but driving it every day, you'll end up rebuilding it very often and deaf.

Well when i brought the engine i was told it was a stage 4 but after removing the head and getting it looked at it turns out its just a normal Spi head, so i was thinking that would be a good way of getting some torque? since my last comment i have realized your correct in the fact its definitely not cheap ahaha

Besides, it's way easier to pick up your lady friends in a classic mini with a normal engine than when you'll  try to pick them up whilst constantly needing to rev the engine etc etc. Just something to consider  :bah:

I wish I was still young enough for doing this ;D . But looking back I can remember it all so well, like it was yesterday. by 'eck, but it was fun!!!

I dont know what it is about minis but girls just seem to always love them, i think "cute" is the word they use to describe it most of the time ahahhaha

#34 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:05 AM

Ollie,

Don't get seduced by ultimate power. The maximum power is only generated at high revs which you don't use very often in a road car. Even a 266 cam only gives peak power at 5700 rpm and the 286 gives it at 6400 rpm.

What you need is lots of lovely TORQUE. That is what gives best acceleration and smooth driving through the rev range.

Too many people go on about the huge power they can get, but then find that it happens at only between 6000 and 6500 rpm - revs you almost never use unless racing or seriously rallying. On the road you need loads of torque between about 3000 and 5500 rpm.

Sadly the two 'Comics' bang on about power, but they don't understand how torque and power respectively are applied to road driving.

If you were building an out-and-out race or hill-climb competition Mini which would be taken to and from events on a trailer the advice would be different.

You are dealing here with a 57-year-old design of classic car with an ancient engine. It will never be fast, in modern terms, but it can be made nasty to drive by over-camming and new blocks will never be cast, so every 1380 is a move towards one more scrap block.

Why not just build a 'nice' engine and enjoy 1960's-feel retro driving.

What's the old adage -
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.

#35 TehMarchant

TehMarchant

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:35 PM

I've got a set of these lovely pistons (+040). willing to sell if you're interested:

http://dt-vps.co.uk/...&product_id=108

I doubt you can go much better than that other than going for forged omegas

Are these new?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users